Friday, 18 December 2009
To try to inspire me, I looked at a few different illustrators with a painterly/drawing lo-fi style and also had at look at some collage too. These have made me aware of the importance of not over-using colours. They employ the naive charm of drawing that I want to retain from the Anorak brief.
The problem I then had was that my first image (the tree house with bike and all the other objects) was actually the one that worked best visually. It has a lot of elements to it, but doesn't look crowded, whereas the last version I posted does. My plan was to send three parts in - the cover without the cutout parts, the cutout parts as they would hopefully appear inside the magazine ready to be used, and the two put together, as shown below. My gut feeling however, was that that was just too much, and if the simpler image worked, even if it meant going back on my plan, then that’s the image I should go with. Above are the images that didn't make the cut!
Thursday, 17 December 2009
The final thing I needed to do was the 'the happy mag for kids' part. I decided to have it as a sign hanging from the tree, like it was there to welcome friends to the tree house. I did wonder whether the sign could be a blank wood one that could be written by the reader and get stuck on with the rest of the cut-out parts, but then I decided that it had be part of the base, as its the whole message of the magazine!
I thought that my cover should resemble the usual Anorak covers at least in layout, so I have tried to emulate the characteristic coloured border. I tried a few different colours that I thought would match the colour scheme of the image and found that the yellow worked best. I also tried putting the bike and the other bits and pieces on as I had planned to before I decided to do the cut-out idea. I think the result is quite a balanced image and I like it!
Monday, 16 November 2009
I was originally going to have the image as the tree house with the odd things that children like to play with scattered around, but then in a tutorial, someone suggested that i have them separately, so that a kid reading the magazine could cut them out and stick them on as they wished. I thought this was a fantastic idea that made the image interactive, which was always something i loved when i was young. So i began work on the things that would help to complete the tree house. Here they are.
This blog will be my learning log for the Negotiated Practice Unit. I'm going to be doing 2 competitions - a cover design for Anorak magazine and a cover design for Alice in Wonderland, for Puffin. I will be posting my development regularly.