Friday 18 December 2009

Alice in Wonderland






After the 30th October Anorak deadline, I began work on the Alice in Wonderland Puffin Brief. I was very anxious not to examine other Alice in Wonderland illustrations too closely as i was already well aware of the familiar imagery surrounding it. I wanted to move away from the familiar scenes that each illustrator has canvassed over and over. For example: Alice falling down the rabbit hole, the Mad Hatters tea party, Alice with the Caterpillar, Alice playing croquet with the Queen.. I decided instead to focus on the themes surrounding Alice in Wonderland, like her constant change of size as a metaphor for growing up and the madness of the wonderland which is a creation of her imagination and something she accepts quite readily. At first however, i was a little stuck, and decided first to try visualising the character of Alice. I didn't like them at all, but here they are.





No comments:

Post a Comment